By Madeline Flynn, Tim Humphrey. Cake Industries creative contributors to underlying technology and build, performers for below showings.
The Megaphone Project is a free-standing and portable sound and visual installation with flexible, interactive and changeable sound content.
A field of red megaphones on simple stands recall an iconography of historical sound diffusion and reinforcement, while inviting physical and emotional responses from those who encounter it.
To facilitate a distributed and portable fullduplex sound network, we have incorporated PDa (PureDataAnywhere), running on HP hx4700/h5500 PDA’s and Gumstix computers that are mounted underneath each megaphone. This enables a stable network of portable devices capable of interlinking the entire field.
Jesse presented a paper at LAC2008 entitled “Distributed wireless duplex audio networks in a travelling artwork: the Megaphone Project” which was written in partnership with Dr Tim Humphrey and Madeleine Flynn about their joint research into a solution for the technology in the Megaphone Project.
Showings including our involvement:
– FINA Cultural Festival Melbourne, March 2007
– Awesome Arts Festival Perth, November 2007
– Australian Performing Arts Market Adelaide, February 2008
– Live Sites Festival Newcastle, March 2008
– Out Of The Box Festival State Library of Queensland, Brisbane, June-July 2008
– Sydney Children’s Festival Carriageworks October 2008
– Sydney Opera House Forecourt January 2009
– Womadelaide Adelaide, March 2009
– Victorian Regional Tour March – May 2009
– Darwin Festival August 2009
– Brisbane Festival September 2009
– Festival of the Voices The Rocks, Sydney, January 26 2010
– MusicPlay – Melbourne Recital Centre, 19-21 Jan 2011
– Big West Festival Little Bites – Footscray Railway Station Overpass, Saturday 19 February 2011
– Sunshine’s 150th Anniversary Family Day– Kevin Wheelahan Gardens, 20 February 2011